We recognise that the public sector equality duty has three aims and they are to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct under the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who have a shared characteristic and those who do not
Outwood Grange Academies Trust will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010) (race, disability, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief and sexual orientation.)
We aim to provide the highest possible education for all of our students. The ethos of our academies clearly reflects our commitment to fully including and respecting all members of our academy communities.
We have set ourselves the following objectives for 2017/18:
- To ensure that staff and governors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand the Trust’s responsibility
- To promote cultural understanding and awareness and tolerance of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our academy communities.
- To promote mental health awareness and develop appropriate interventions where necessary.
- Actively close gaps in attainment and achievement between students for all groups of students; especially students eligible for Pupil Premium, students with special educational needs and disabilities, looked after children and students from minority ethnic groups.
- Continue to improve accessibility across the academy sites for students, staff and visitors with disabilities, including access to specialist teaching areas.
- Monitor the incidence of the use of homophobic, sexist and racist language by students in our academies.
- To continuously review and revise the KS1-5 curriculum so that it represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect.
For further information, please see the Equality and Diversity policy.